The following upcoming events and news items are from around the Archdiocese of Anchorage, Alaska.
Parishes host summer VBS
The following parishes will host vacation bible school programs this summer:
• June 4-8 – 9 a.m.-12 p.m., Theme: “Shipwrecked: Rescued by Jesus,” JBER Soldier’s Chapel, Bldg. 3, Headquarters Loop, JBER
• June 18-22 – 9 a.m.-12 p.m., Theme: “Shipwrecked: Rescued by Jesus,” St. Benedict
• June 25-28 – 9 a.m.-12 p.m., Theme: “Shipwrecked: Rescued by Jesus,” St. Elizabeth Ann Seton & Holy Cross
• July 2-5, St. Joseph, Cordova
• July 23-27, 9 a.m.-12 p.m., Theme: “Splash Canyon,” St. Michael & St. John Lutheran in Palmer
Iconography course in July
A six-day iconography course will take place at Holy Spirit Center in Anchorage, July 23-28. The course will be taught by iconographer Anna Gouriev, daughter of world-renown icon painter, the late Ksenia Pokrovsky. Gouriev continues her father’s work of adorning churches, doing individual commissions and teaching iconography. To register for the course, visit hexaemeron.org or call (859) 608-3608 or email email@example.com.
Archdiocese hires new director of Stewardship & Development
The Archdiocese of Anchorage has hired Nathan McCabe as the new director of the Office of Stewardship and Development. He begins June 12.
McCabe replaces Laurie Evans-Dinneen, who stepped down earlier this year to take on a position with the Anchorage School District.
An announcement by Anchorage Archbishop Paul Etienne noted that McCabe was born and raised in South Texas, but recently moved to Anchorage.
“His business experience is primarily in bank management, so the work of development and stewardship will be a new endeavor for him,” Archbishop Etienne said. “His outgoing personality and people skills combined with his strong faith and desire to serve the Church will serve him well in his new capacity.”
He added: “Likewise, his love of the outdoors will help make connections with many people here in Alaska.”
According to McCabe, he enjoys hunting, fishing, traveling, and “going on adventures with my family.”
“God has blessed me with this opportunity to work with the Archdiocese of Anchorage, and I hope, with his guidance, to lead our Stewardship and Development team to promote a culture of stewardship and successfully support the Mission of the Archdiocese,” he said.
Rosary relay for priests on June 8
Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral in Anchorage is again participating in the Annual Global Rosary Relay for Catholic Priests on June 8. Participating churches and Marian shrines in more than 50 countries will pray a specific mystery of the rosary at a pre-determined time on Friday, June 8th, in thanksgiving to God for priests and to implore the protection of the Mother of God for her priestly sons. By midnight on June 8 the entire world will have been encircled in hourly prayer for priests. In Alaska, Our Lady of Guadalupe has been assigned the time of 6:15 a.m. to recite the Sorrowful Mysteries. All are invited to rise early on that Friday and come to the parish chapel to join in the global prayer for priests.
To learn more, visit worldpriest.com. Click on Rosary Relay to find a list of all the participating countries and churches. For more information call John Fleming at (907) 230-7783.
Summer Catholic camp registration
The summer’s first session of St. Therese’s Camp in the Mat-Su Valley begins June 24. According to a notice from the Catholic camp, its programming for children in grades 3-8 includes “swimming, kayaking, canoeing, singing, campfires, archery, volleyball, ultimate frisbee, arts, crafts and outdoor skills training in a fun and vibrant lakefront setting in the Mat-Su Valley while sharing the joy of the Catholic Faith.” Camp weeks are June 24-29; July 1-6; July 15-20; July 22-27; and July 29-Aug 3. Some financial aid is available. St. Therese’s Camp offers a weeklong residential Catholic camp experience. For more information, call Rudy at 907-232-2066 or visit stthereseak.com.
Weekly Masses and adoration
• Sun.-Sat., Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, Blessed Sacrament Monastery, 9 a.m.-8:30 p.m.
• Sun.-Sat., Perpetual Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, St. Andrew
• Mon.-Fri., Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, St. Benedict, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
• Mon.-Tues., Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, Our Lady of the Snows in Girdwood, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
• Tues., Thurs., Sun., Daybreak Mass, Our Lady of Providence Chapel, 6:15 a.m.
• Wed., Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, Our Lady of the Snows in Girdwood, 9-10 a.m.
• Thurs., Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, Our Lady of the Snows in Girdwood, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
• Thurs.-Fri., Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, St. Michael in Palmer, 7 p.m.-11:55 a.m.
• Fri., Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, Holy Family Cathedral, 7 a.m.-noon
• Fri., Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, St. Anthony, 7-8 p.m.
• Fri., Adoration of Blessed Sacrament, Our Lady of Guadalupe, 7-9 p.m.
• Sun., Native Mass, Alaska Native Medical Center, 11 a.m.
• Daily Mass, Our Lady of Providence Chapel, 11:30 a.m.
• Tues-Fri., Daily Mass, St. Andrew, 9 a.m.