Funeral arrangements have been finalized for Anchorage Archbishop Emeritus Francis T. Hurley, who died peacefully on Jan. 10 in his Anchorage home. He was two days shy of 89.
Following a public visitation and viewing at Janssen Evergreen Memorial Chapel in Anchorage on Wednesday, Jan. 20, Archbishop Hurley’s body will be taken to Holy Family Cathedral on Jan. 21 where the faithful are invited to join in a vigil service and evening prayers. On Jan. 22 there were will be a Solemn Mass of Christian Burial at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral.
Funeral arrangements will conclude on Saturday, Jan. 23, with the Rite of Committal and burial of Archbishop Hurley’s body at St. John Neumann Mission in Cooper Landing. The complete funeral arrangements are listed below.
From 1970 to 1976 Archbishop Hurley headed the Diocese of Juneau and then the Anchorage Archdiocese until 2001 when he retired from active service (Click here to read a full story about Archbishop Hurley’s life and ministry).
ARCHBISHOP HURLEY’S FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS
- Wednesday, Jan. 20, at 6 p.m. — Visitation and viewing at Janssen Evergreen Memorial Chapel
- Thursday, Jan. 21 at 1:15 p.m. — Reception of Archbishop Hurley’s body at Holy Family Cathedral
- Thursday, Jan. 21 at 6:30 p.m. — Evening Prayer, Office of the Dead, at Holy Family
- Thursday, Jan. 21 at 8:30 p.m. — Rosary at Holy Family
- Thursday, Jan. 21 at 9 p.m. — Archbishop Hurley’s body returned to Janssen Evergreen Memorial Chapel
- Friday, Jan. 22 at 2 p.m. — Solemn Mass of Christian Burial at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral
- Friday, Jan. 22 at 3:30 p.m. — Reception following Mass at the Lunney Center at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral
- Saturday, Jan. 23 at 10 a.m. — Depart Anchorage for St. John Neumann Mission in Cooper Landing
- Saturday, Jan. 23 at 12 p.m. — Rite of Committal, St. John Neumann Mission, Cooper Landing
- Saturday, Jan. 23 at 1 p.m. — Return to Anchorage
All clergy, religious and deacons please notify Jenny Michaelson at (907) 297-7729 if you plan on attending or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org